UPDATE OF THE UPDATE. I give up. Nothing works. Something is wrong w all recipes linked here. Read on, but don’t use these recipes!
So the other day I posted these pictures on social media, and my post exploded! Everybody wanted to know how I did it. So I shared this link with everyone – the original recipe that I followed. WARNING – DO NOT USE THAT RECIPE!!!
OMG guys… not everything you find on the Internet is true (or correct)! Sigh. I could have sworn that was the recipe Hannah and I used this summer when we made them, but apparently not… if you watch the video on that page, you suddenly realize… they LEFT OUT AN INGREDIENT on their recipe list! Sigh.
THIS link looks like it would make some amazing bath bombs! And I plan to try them ASAP… so I’ll update and let you know.
Things to look for when you make your bath bombs – make sure that you have a mold. If you don’t have a mold, a bowl will NOT work. You HAVE to have a mold to press it into. You can find them at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, OR you can use this affiliate link from Amazon and have three different sizes at your home with free prime shipping in two days! (I learned that this summer when we made them without molds.)
Note: I found some pumpkin plastic candy holders that would work as molds, and they looked adorable when they were first molded!!
Keep in mind that anytime you’re making something that is going to fizz, it’s going to outgas as it dries. Make sure it’s totally dry (open air, as it says on the correct recipe link) before you put it into the airtight container, or it might blow up your ziploc bag… (experience talking – yes, it can make a ziploc bag explode… just trust me).
This is science, folks. One ingredient missing can make a HUGE difference… and mess up everything. 😦 I’m still going to try the other recipe and attempt to get these correct to give to the teachers we were planning to give to for Halloween. I’m sad that it didn’t work, but hopefully it’ll help y’all the next time around… and I will definitely post an update and let you know how the new recipe link works!! (I’m pretty sure it’s what Hannah and I used this summer, and I know that with molds, they’ll turn out amazing.) Sadly, if Becca’s art teacher hasn’t already used hers, it probably looks something like this inside her bag…
Ok, so I tried the recipe, and it was WAY too dry. It wouldn’t mold at all. So, I added water 3/4 tsp at a time and stirred until I found that it would mold in my hand. Now, they appear to be perfect. We’ll see how long they last! The texture is definitely very different than what I had before – this seems exactly right. So here’s the correct recipe. (Plus more water)
UPDATE- 5 mins later: